In my wildest of dream, I never thought that one day I will be writing a blog post on Turmeric Latte/Golden Milk. Yes, despite being an Indian and aware about the humongous benefits of Turmeric, I somehow always hated the sound of Turmeric Latte/ Golden Milk. But recently I ate something at the local market and my stomach went berserk for days. I was not able to eat properly or do anything at all and I was constantly struggling with acidity & bloating.(what an exciting start to the story ..right !)
So my husband decided to force feed me some Turmeric milk and surprisingly it worked.. all of my stomach trouble was gone within few minutes.Although my husband had added a bit turmeric for my liking yet I still enjoyed it contrary to my perception that I would puke after having it.This is how I started thinking about age old Indian magical drink and decided to make my own version which could be enjoyed by kids and people like me who do not just eat & drink everything just because it is healthy.(Yes, taste is the most crucial factor for us :P)
Well as I have finally attained wisdom and now know a bit more about Turmeric Latte/ Golden Milk, I am gonna enlighten you a bit if in case you have ignored this magical drink for ages just like me.
Introduction to Turmeric:
- Turmeric is a very popular spice used in Indian food. And you probably know turmeric as the main spice used in curries.
- It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butter, and cheeses.
- Turmeric has also been used as a medicinal plant in India.
- Turmeric contains around 9% moisture, omega 3 fatty acids and alpha linolenic acid (2.5%). Nutritionally 100g of turmeric provides 390 calories, 10g total fat, 69.9g total carbohydrates and 21g dietary fibre.
- It also contains minerals like calcium, potassium, phosphorous, sodium, iron and vitamins B and C.
Benefits of Turmeric Latte/Golden Milk:
- Turmeric Latte/Golden milk is a commonly used traditional remedy for a cough, cold, and other respiratory tract infections.
- The antiviral and antibacterial properties of turmeric can help fight the infections while the anti-inflammatory property helps relieve the symptoms.
- Addition of Raw turmeric prevents and stops the growth of breast, skin, lung, prostate, and colon cancers.
- It is used to cure arthritis and treat swelling due to rheumatoid arthritis. It also gives the best relief from aches and pains, especially back pain.
- It also helps you tackle most of the digestive tract problems.It improves digestion, helps relieve gas and bloating as well as heartburn resulting from gastric reflux.
- It has always been regarded as an excellent detoxifying agent and it also takes care of your skin if taken regularly.
I hope you are convinced now and do not worry about the taste coz I can love it and you can definitely give this a try.
- 2 Cup of Milk/Amond Milk
- ½ Teaspoon Fresh Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 Tablespoon Organic Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Cinamon Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Maple Syrup/ Vanilla Extract
- Grated Coconut
- Star Anise
- Black Pepper Powder (Optional)
- Take a sauce pan and lightly warm the milk and add fresh turmeric powder.Give it a good stir and taste if you want to increase the amount of turmeric.
- Now add cinnamon & nut meg powder into the milk and stir it again.
- Turn off the heat and add honey + Maple Syrup/ Vanilla Extract into the milk.Mix everything well and let it sit for a couple of seconds.
- Now pour the warm milk
ina mug and top it with grated coconut, a pinch of black pepper powder and star anise.Cuddle up with your favorite book and enjoy this heart warming drink.