” Tawa Fry Crispy Pomfret is tender inside & crispy outside served with a spicy Chutney”
I have never been a fan of fish despite of knowing the fact that it is super healthy and has no impact on our bodies.All I had tried was fish fries made by mum once in two months.But couple of weeks back I went to Mumbai and we went for a short trip to Alibaug and there a I saw this Tawa Fry Crispy Pomfret for the first time.It looked so alluring that I decided to cook it as soon as get back to home.I was not able to eat it there itself as it was cooked in coconut oil and somehow I can never eat anything cooked in coconut oil. My bad 🙁
So I kept looking for recipes then I stumbled upon this awesome blog “Swad Cuisine” run by Swapna and oh boy.. her recipes are so amazing and if you love Keralan cuisine then you have to visit her blog.I am so happy that I stumbled upon her blog and its a treasure of recipes from southern India. I followed her recipe and totally loved the fish. I gave Tawa Fry Crispy Pomfret a north Indian touch by serving it with some spicy coriander-mint chutney and it was such a soul satisfying meal.
Life is Simple.
Eat, Sleep & Fish
If you want to make this awesome chutney then you are the right place coz it is pretty simple and just takes couple of minutes to make it.You need to take equal amounts of coriander and mint leaves (1 cup each), add one chopped tomatoes, 3-4 garlic cloves, 1 inch piece of ginger, 5-6 green chillies and salt.Put everything in a blender and give it a blitz. Add some water if you feel it is quite thick. Give it a stir and there it is ready !
Tawa Fry Crispy Pomfret is my latest obsession and do try it even if you are not much of fish eater like me. You are gonna love it.
- 3 Pomfret, medium sized
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon Hung curd
- 7-8 Curry leaves, Fine chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Coriander leaves, Fine Chopped
- 2 Teaspoon Red chilly powder
- ½ Teaspoon Fennel powder
- 2 Tablespoon Butter, Melted
- Salt, as per your taste
- Wash and clean the pomfret fish properly and make gashes on both sides using a knife.
- Now we need to marinate fish so add turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice and crushed peppers and rub it properly on the fish. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Next step includes making a smooth paste by mixing curd, red chill- powder, fennel powder, finely chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Now rub this masala paste on the fish making sure to push the masala inside the gashes. Marinate the fish for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Heat a non stick pan and add melted butter into it.Put the pomfret on the pan and fry for 8-10 minutes on one side in medium flame.
- Carefully flip the fish and cook on the other side too for 8-10 minutes. Make sure to not overcook the fish otherwise it may become dry.
- Drain the excess butter using a paper towel.
- Serve it hot with green chutney and onions