Its weekend again and yet again I have cooked another Indian dish Sukha Chicken Fry which has a touch of Kerala like my last week’s recipe . I guess I am getting so obsessed with South Indian Recipes and I feel so darn stupid for not trying it before.This Sukha Chicken Fry is basically an Indian version of Chicken lollipops which is marinated in various spices and has got a kinda off earthy flavour. This recipe definitely needs time for marination as the longer duration you marinate, more juicer flavour chicken you get.
At times I feel so privileged being born in India as we get the opportunity to experience such a varied food palette and it keep changing every 100 to 200 kilometers.From Jammu & Kashmir to Kanyakumari our country has got such a rich food heritage that you can not even try all the dishes in one life time.Even every house has got some version of their local food.I have big crush on big bold flavors and I have to try few recipes from Rajasthan , Jammu and Andhra Pradesh. Oh gosh so much to cook and to eat off-course.
Coming back to Sukha Chicken Fry, spices are the life of this dish and perfect frying gives it a crispy skin which make it totally spectacular.After frying the chicken drumsticks, we give it a bit of sir in a pan with few more spices to give it that charred look and taste. Does that sounds like a lot of spices to you then do not worry as this recipe has got some lemon juice which balances out all the hotness from various spices. Also spices are good for health as most of the Indian spices are believed to be beneficial for our body.
You can serve this Sukha Chicken fry either with some coriander chutney or with some yougurt dip if feel you can not handle the spices here.For making a yogurt dip you just need to take some curd, add some salt, cumin powder and a bit of rock salt and you are good to go.
2 hr, 15 Prep Time
15 minCook Time
2 hr, 30 Total Time
- 500 Grams
- 1 Teaspoon Tumeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 3-4 Cloves , Powdered
- 1 Onion , Fine Chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, Fine Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 3 Green Chili Paste
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 20 Curry Leaves
- 2 Tablespoon All Purpose Powder
- Oil for Frying
- Wash and dry the chicken drum sticks and then make small cuts in all the pieces using a knife.
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients apart from curry leaves in a big bowl and make it like a thick mixture using a bit of water.
- Add the chicken into the bowl and rub the mixture on all the pieces with you hands.Make sure all the chicken pieces are completely covered with the thick paste.
- Let it marinate for at-least for two hours and for best results marinate it overnight.Add all purpose flour in the marinated chicken before frying.
- Now heat up the oil and deep fry the chicken pieces till you can spot the crispy outer skin.
- Keep the fried pieces on a paper towel so that it sucks out the extra oil.
- Once all the pieces are fried then take a griddle pan and add a1/2 tablespoon of oil and heat it up.
- Once the oil is hot then add the curry leaves and once they start to splutter then add the fried chicken into it and and you can also add the leftover marination mixture containing tomatoes and onions.Give it bit of charred look and serve it hot with some coriander chutney or yogurt dip.