I love water chestnuts and today I am sharing “Stir Fried Water Chestnuts”.Winter is finally here and I am so excited about all the dishes I am going to cook with all my favorite fruits and veggies.I specially love winter evenings when I can cuddle in my blanket with a cup of Chai and a bowl of a snack.And water chestnut has been my absolute favorite winter snacks.It reminds me of my my childhood when my mum use to give me the herculean task to peel the water chestnuts and I use to steel one or two one peeling them 😀
I love it coz its outer surfaces acquires the taste of spices you cook it in and inner part still retains its flavour. Plus water chestnuts have a good number of vitamins and minerals such as fiber, vitamin B6, copper, riboflavin, and manganese, but the phenolics are what set this food apart.
This “Stir Fried Water Chestnuts” is such a quick recipe that it will take just as much time as making a tea.But peeling water chestnuts is surely a tough task.I always struggle peeling it but I try to peel and keep it ready beforehand so that I am not wasting my time peeling chestnuts when I am dying from hunger.Yes I am one of those people who start dying out of hunger if not fed within few minutes of getting hunger.
I have lightly saute the chestnuts but you can saute it a bit longer as per your liking.I have another recipe of water chestnuts where it is cooked a little longer.That is an Indian recipe so it is cooked along with spices for a longer duration than this recipe.
I have used fresh cilantro to garnish and I would urge you to not skip adding cilantro as it gives a distinctive flavour to this dish.You will love the freshness.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 10-15 Water chestnuts,peeled
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- Olive Oil
- Heat Olive oil in a pan and add water chestnuts into the pan.
- Add chopped garlic into the pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Paprika, black pepper powder and salt into the pan and stir well.
- Add Red Chili Flakes into the pan and let the water chestnuts for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve it hot, garnish it with fresh cilantro and enjoy it with a hot cup of tea.