So you want to make a simple yet bold breakfast which is healthy yet appetizing then you should definitely try Shakshuka.I know the name sounds a bit difficult but it surely is a super delicious way to start your day.It is a Middle Eastern staple food which is basically poached eggs with tomato as a base. It can be cooked in a pan or even baked in a oven.I have cooked in a pan as I felt that oven might make it dry.
I have seen images of this dish several times over internet and always drooled over it but I was never able to figure out what it was exactly until recently I read an article about the best egg based breakfast recipes and there it was..So I have seen various versions of this recipes and then I made this version of my own.If you like mildly spicy with the fresh aroma of herbs and cilantro combined with eggs then you are surely going to like it.I have used bell peppers and onions apart from the standard ingredient which is tomato.You can also add spring onions or mushrooms if you want.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cooking Time:10 Minutes Difficulty Level:Easy
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Yellow Pepper
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 1/2 Capsicum
- 4 Tomatoes,Pureed
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Herbs
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro
- Chop bell peppers and capsicum into thin long strips.
- Dice onion into thin pieces.
- Heat olive oil in pan and saute bell peppers,capsicum ,onion together for few minutes.
- Add tomato puree,garlic cloves to the pan and let the cook for one minute.
- Add paprika powder,herbs,black pepper powder and salt to the pan.
- Let it cook for few more seconds.
- Make three wells in the cooked puree for the eggs using a spatula or a spoon.
- Add eggs one by one in the well.Let it cook for few seconds on low heat.
- Do not disturb the pan.Cover it in the end and let it cook for few more seconds.
- Turn off the heat.Sprinkle black pepper powder and cilantro.Enjoy !