Valentine week has begun and wanted to cook something which is out of the box yet reflects warmth and love between a couple.I was juggling between cuisines but then I thought that I have not cooked Korean and I love Kimchi salad..so why not cook something inspired from that.
I came across this interesting recipe at www.seriouseats.com and I figured just few variations will totally make it my type.If you want to follow the authentic recipe then you should visit serious seats.I have used topping of my choice or rather I would say whatever made it more spicy( I am huge spice lover) but you can always experiment with toppings like tofu,grated carrots,cottage cheese.
Original recipe demands that kimchi should be left for alt east 2 days for fermentation but I used it after 15 hours as I have only got weekends for my experiments.For better results you should let it ferment for 3 to 5 days.
RECIPE:Noodles in Kimchi Soup
Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 Nappa Cabbage or any Green Cabbage
- 2 Red Carrots
- 1 Seedless Cucumber
- 3 Raddish
- 4 Green Onions
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 2.5 Inches of Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Caster Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Sambhal
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar/ White Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Gochujang
Substitute for Gochujang: Per tablespoon – Make a paste of 1 tablespoon red chilli pepper flakes moistened with soy sauce and add a little sugar. This will not replicate the complexity but a similar flavor profile. Source: GourmetSleuth.com
- 2 packets of Ramen Noodles/Buckwheat noodles/Egg Noodles
- 4 to 5 Cups of Vegetable Stock
- 4 Green Onion Salks
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic & Ginger
- 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Schezwan Sauce
- 2 Tabelsppon Sambhal or chilli Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger & Garlic Paste
- 1 Cup Kimchi
- 1/2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Boiled Egg
- Lime Wedges
- Sauted Mushrooms
- Spring Onion
- Red chillies
- Garlic Slices
- Cut Cabbage into 2 inch stripes and radish,carrots.cucumber into 3 inch long pieces.
- Put all the diced vegetables and spring onions into a large bowl ,add 5 Tablespoon salt and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile take Garlic, Ginger, Caster Sugar, Sambhal, Fish Sauce, Rice Vinegar,Gochujan and use a blender to make a coarse paste.
- After an hour, wash all the vegetables under running cold water and use kitchen towel to dry the extra water.
- Once all the vegetables are dry , mix the coarse paste and massage it very well.
- Transfer it into air tight jar and let it ferment at room temperature
- Normally it takes 1 to 2 to ferment completely but you can also use it earlier.
- Once fermented, store it in a refrigerator.
- Heat Olive oil in a pan and saute ginger,garlic and green onions together.
- Add soy sauce,schezwan Sauce, Sambhal/Chilli Sauce, Kimchi, sugar and vegetable stalk.Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add noodles and let it cook for 2 more minutes
- Pour it in a bowl and top it as per your liking.ENJOY hot with your special someone while it is piping.
Happy Valentine’s Week !