I am an north Indian and since my childhood I have mostly eaten chicken curries in the typical U.P (Uttar Pradesh,a state in India) style only and I must say it is still my favorite.I remember my father cooking it on Sundays with his secret ingredients and the aroma so mesmerizing that it used to become impossible to control the hunger.I still make him cook that whenever I am visiting home.
I particularly loved how he added whole bunch of garlic while cooking and it tasted so amazing.Growing up,I always thought that Southern India has no spicy chicken recipe as such..how stupid of me right? But when I came to Delhi, my boss told me about this amazing restaurant that used to serve amazing South Indian chicken curries and I immediately decided to explore it.But sadly, all my hopes shattered after having the first bite of the famous curry, it was no where near my expectation.It was sweet! After this incident, I was hesitant to try again.
But last week I came across some really tempting pictures of Chettinad and Kerala Chicken Curry.I scrolled through around twenty-some recipes and finally came across Chef Niru Gupta Recipe.
The description and ingredients itself got me excited and that moment I knew that this is what I have been looking for.If you just like me,have never tried “Kerala Style Chicken Curry”, then you should definitely try this.
RECIPE:Kerala Style Chicken Curry
Prep Time:40 Minutes Cooking Time:20 Minutes Difficulty Level:Easy
- 1 Kilogram Chicken
- 5 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 3 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Garam Masala (Ground Spices such as cumin,coriander,cardamom)
- 4 Teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 4 Teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 4 Tomatoes, Diced
- 3 Large Onions, Diced
- 6 Green Chilles
- 3 Tablespoon Soya Sauce
- 4 Tablespoon Mustard Oil
- 10 to 13 Curry Leaves
- Clean the chicken and make some deep slit in the pieces.
- Take a small bowl and combine 1 teaspoon garam masala, coriander powder,chilli powder, turmeric, pepper powder.
- Add ginger and garlic paste to spice mixture and blend everything properly.
- Marinate chicken in this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan and fry diced onions, green chilles and curry leaves.
- Let it cook till the time onion becomes brown.
- Add remaining ginger and garlic paste and garam masala to the pan.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let it cook till it become soft.
- Add soya sauce and mix everything well.
- Finally add chicken and 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover the pan and let it boil.
- Remove the cover for 2 or 3 times and let the chicken cook from both the sides till is roasted.
- Garnish it with curry leaves and enjoy !
If you are looking for more spicy chicken recipes, then check out Spicy Chicken Masala.