I have recently started the DIY section on the blog where I will be sharing easy recipes of some core ingredients.This is a super easy and quick recipe for making a basic tomato and basil sauce which can be easily used for pizza bases and penne pastas.I have been planning to make this sauce since long but I had no idea that it will be such a quick and simple recipe.
Over the period of time, I have tried lots of readymade sauce brands but never liked any of those.I miss the freshness & aroma of the homemade sauce.Best part of this sauce is that you can store in the fridge and use it for couple of days.
I specially love the role of fresh basil in the sauce as it makes it more aromatic.But if in case you are not having fresh basil or you do not like it then you can avoid it.You can even add dried basil in case you having tough time arranging the fresh ones.I have cooked both pasta and pizza using this sauce and I loved the flavors in both the dishes.
RECIPE:Basic Tomato & Basil Pasta/Pizza Sauce
Prep Time:15 minutes Cooking Time:15 Minutes
- 3 Tomatoes Medium Size
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder (Use freshly crushed for better taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano powder/Mixed Italian seasoning
- Salt as per taste
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and make a puree out of them using a hand blender or mixer grinder.Do not blend it a lot and make sure your puree is having few chunks of tomato.
- Heat olive in a pan and put garlic pieces into it when the oil is hot.
- Saute the garlic pieces for few seconds and make sure that they don’t get burned.
- Add the tomato puree into the pan and let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
- When the sauce starts changing its colour then add basil leaves (Cut into small strips) , salt, pepper and oregano into it.
- Mix everything properly and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between otherwise the sauce might get burnt.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the spices and salt as per your liking if you feel like.
- And your sauce is ready and you can refrigerate it once it has cooled down.
Enjoy accolades of your friends and family 🙂